This is a light, 1 layer cake version frosted with plenty of whipped cream and fresh strawberries. Celebrating our 16 years of La Boîte on December 16th, we made this fresh and sweet but not too sweet cake to share with family and friends. It’s a great, classic vanilla cake that also works well with the fruit or fruits of the season!
- 2 cups cake flour (244g)
¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 ¼ cup sugar (250g)
- 8 Tbsp butter (1 stick)
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ vanilla pod, scraped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound container of strawberries, cleaned and sliced
1 cup halva floss
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Prepare a 10” cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and a piece of parchment for the bottom of the pan.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment (or large bowl and hand mixer) beat the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and butter until the butter pieces are pea sized.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, oil, and scraped vanilla to combine well.
- Add the mixture to the flour and butter with the mixer on medium speed to just incorporate, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Make sure to rotate the pan halfway through cooking.
- When ready, cool the cake completely before frosting.
- To finish the cake, turn the cake out onto a platter and remove the parchment paper.
Whisk the heavy cream, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract to stiff peaks.
- Frost the cake, top and sides, with half of the whipped cream.
- Arrange slices of strawberries around the sides and top of the cake.
- Add quenelles of the remaining whipped cream on top.
- Sprinkle the halva floss around the cake and enjoy!
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org