A popular German dish originally from Berlin, Currywurst is as simple as it delicious. Fry up your favorite kind of sausage, then pair it with curry ketchup and a roll or French fries. I use our Bombay blend for its earthiness and sweet fennel notes.
A popular German dish originally from Berlin, Currywurst is as simple as it delicious. Poach and then fry up your favorite kind of sausage, then pair it with curry ketchup and a roll or French fries. I use our Bombay blend for its earthiness and sweet fennel notes.
1/4 cup ketchup‡
1 tsp Bombay N3
2 sausages (bratwurst, bockwurst, knockwurst*, even hot dogs work)
French fries or a roll
Mix the ketchup and Bombay well and set aside for 30 minutes or overnight for the flavors to meld. Will keep indefinitely in the fridge.
In a pan with a lid first poach the sausages in a few cups of water, then drain the water and fry them on both sides over medium heat until crisped.
Chop the sausages into bite-sized pieces, then serve with either a roll or with French fries. Dust the sausages with Bombay N3 and serve with curry ketchup and mayonnaise.
Here's our french fries, aka Pommes Frites recipe.
‡ Yes you can make your own ketchup, but I've never really understood why when Heinz exists.
* Knockwurst (the common spelling in the US) is known as knackwurst in Germany.
Variations & Ideas:
- Add 1/2 tsp of OMG to the curry ketchup for an additional spicy layer of flavor.
• Serve as a sandwich. Spread a thin layer of mayo on a roll or hotdog bun and toast briefly in a pan. Add the chopped sausage pieces and top with curry ketchup. You can even add some fries if you like to carb up.
• Curry ketchup is great with many other foods, from savory waffles to tater tots, or in marinades for chicken or beef before broiling them.
• Try making a simple fried rice using our new Egyptian Spice Crunch plus chopped sausage. Serve with curry ketchup.
Questions? Contact email@example.com