Do Good Chicken with Hazelnut and Spinach
As you sip white wine (or your beverage of choice) and wind down from the day, this golden platter of crispy chicken will be ready to come out of the oven complete with side dish. We recommend marinating (it can keep up to 3 days) to really make the most of the spices and seasonings. The recipe below uses OMG but the dish is very versatile to swap in your favorite blends. Isphahan, Bombay, Shabazi, and Amber would all be great options.
This dish was made with Do Good Chicken. Every once in a while, we encounter an ingredient that inspires. Our friends at Do Good are on a mission to fight climate change by rescuing food surplus (typically 40% of all food produced) and transforming it into feed for chickens they raise right back into the fresh food system. Each Do Good Chicken prevents 4 pounds of food from going to landfill. This closed loop reduces carbon emissions by avoiding landfill and reducing wasted resources by renewing the surplus. Eating well can mean doing good at the same time. Check out the recipe notes below for more information on how we and Do Good can do better.
Roasted Chicken with Potato, Hazelnut, and Spinach
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or 4-6 pounds of your favorite bone in chicken)
½ tsp fine sea salt per pound of chicken
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp OMG blend per pound of chicken
*Note* our chicken was 6 pounds, so we used 1 Tbsp of fine sea salt, 1 Tbsp ground black pepper and 2 Tbsp of OMG blend
¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cups russet potato diced ½”, about 2 pounds scrubbed and skin on
- 2 cups red onion diced ½”
- ½ cup garlic, cloves in half (large ones quartered)
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped (about each nut in half)
- 1 8oz container cremini mushrooms diced ½”
- 2 Tbsp OMG blend
- 1 Tbsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 4oz bag baby spinach
To season the chicken
For the vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine the salt, OMG blend, and ground black pepper
- Mix the sea salt, black pepper, and OMG to combine well.
- Toss the chicken, oil, and spice mix with the chicken to coat well. If marinating, store refrigerated overnight or up to 3 days.
- In a large bowl, toss the vegetables and hazelnuts (except spinach), spices, and olive oil together to season well.
- Onto a greased baking tray, spread out the vegetables evenly and arrange the chicken pieces on top.
- Roast into the oven for 1 hour, or until cooked, rotating the tray halfway through cooking.
- Remove the chicken to a platter to rest and increase the oven heat to 500 and place the tray back into the oven to brown the vegetables for 10-15 minutes, or until nicely crisped.
Remove the tray from the oven and fold in the baby spinach.
The chicken skin should be crispy, the vegetables golden brown with ribbons of fresh spinach, and the tray should have some fresh drippings to drizzle onto your plate. Enjoy!