Fresh Ricotta and Swiss Chard
This is one of my at home favorite appetizers. Warm from the pan or prepared ahead and chilled, it's a great beginning to the table while you open wine and settle in for a great meal together. The combination of roses and nutmeg in Shawarma East along with the Tunisian-Style Cured Lemons is irresistible for warm bread.
- Olive oil
Fine sea salt
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp Shawarma East
- 1 bunch swiss chard, preferably rainbow, washed and chopped
5 slices Tunisian-Style Preserved Lemons
- 1 pound fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
½ tsp espelette or pepperoncini
- In a 10” pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the onion, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of salt over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until softened.
- Add the swiss chard Shawarma East and continue cooking for another 5-8 minutes or until tender.
Fold in the preserved lemons and cook for three more minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt as needed and remove the pan from heat.
- Spread the fresh ricotta onto a serving plate and top with the swiss chard and lemon mixture.
- Drizzle with fresh olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch or two of espelette (or pepperoncini) and enjoy!
If making ahead, I like to keep the fresh ricotta and cooked swiss chard separate until I’m ready to plate them.
I also really love the warm swiss chard with the cool fresh ricotta.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org